Here are the requirements for your book reviews. 1st drafts due November 1st.
Task: Write a concise review on the book you just completed.
Purpose: To inform the reader about your book as well as to persuade them to read or not to read your book.
Keep in Mind: You are reviewing the book and the writing – not the cover art and the author
Audience: Your classmates and potential for publishing!
- BRIEF Summary – should be 4-8 sentences in length
- NO SPOILERS – don’t give away that the brother’s girlfriend’s cousin’s dog is the killer!
- Include the book title and the author
- Consider your audience
- Include the genre of the book (at minimum fiction or non-fiction)
- Discuss likes and dislikes – consider style of writing, pacing, artwork, how the book is constructed
This is NOT a 5-paragraph essay. Most book reviews are not given that much space either online or in print. Here is a rough outline to follow:
1st Paragraph: Hook + Summary = 4-8 sentences total (1-2 sentences for the hook)
2nd Paragraph: Review = 4-8 sentences total (this is where you include your praise and criticism of the book)
Last Sentence: Final Verdict = 1-2 sentences total (this is styled after Voya magazines review – final recommendation to the reader as to read or not read)
TOTAL: 9-20 sentences…which means word choice and precise writing is essential! EVIDENCE is expected!